Zverev delivers warning to Djokovic and Nadal, saying: ‘I’ll be on top of the game very soon!’
Alexander Zverev believes he is close to reaching ‘the top of the game’ after another confidence boosting win in Cologne.
Last week Zverev beat Felix Auger-Aliassime in the final of Cologne 1, and he repeated that trick this week by downing Diego Schwartzman to make it a double.
After that match, though while thanking his team for their work, he delivered a warning to his ATP rivals, claiming he feels on the verge of a major breakthrough.
“[Thanks to] everybody who is involved with me and my work,” Zverev said after the match.
“It’s getting better and I think we are going to be on top of the game very soon.”
Zverev nearly had to pull out of Cologne 2 with a hip injury, but scans revealed there was no real damage.
“Two days ago I wasn’t sure if I was going to finish the tournament and now I’m here as a champion so I’m happy I didn’t retire.
“Diego: congratulations for the past few months since the Tour started again.
“I think you’re one of the best players in the world. Making the finals in Rome, semi-finals in Paris and beating top players.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner