‘Wimbledon is the major I see Roger Federer being able to win’, says ATP legend
Former doubles legend Todd Woodbridge believes Wimbledon is the major that Roger Federer can still win, though insists that the Swiss star cannot miss too much matchplay.
The 20-time Grand Slam champion has recently announced his decision not to compete at the Australian Open and Woodbridge believes he has his sights set on Wimbledon and the 2021 Olympics.
“Roger Federer’s goals, I assume, would be to play at the Olympics and at Wimbledon. Wimbledon is the Major that I see him being able to win at this stage of his career.”
“But if Federer misses too much matchplay, it’s very hard to see him being able to go all the way at a Slam”, said Woodbridge in an Interview with the Wide World of Sports portal.
The Australian star also believes that fitness and recovery following matches will pose the biggest challenge for the 39-year-old in his bid to win another Slam.
“That’s the biggest challenge. It won’t be the first match or two, he’s so natural that he can come out and play shots and play well. It’s all about the recovery.
“After he’s played two tough matches, can he back up for a third? How will the body feel? Will the legs be tired? They’re all the things you find at that age.”
Due to his absence at the upcoming Australian Open, Federer is likely to fall to sixth place in the ATP rankings should Stefanos Tsitsipas reach the third-round.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner