“We were just having fun” Five things to know about Andrey Rublev ahead of his ATP Finals debut
Andrey Rublev will make his ATP finals debut later this month after a breakthrough year on the ATP tour, winning five titles and reaching the quarter-final stage of both the US Open and the French Open.
Tennishead looks at five things you should know about the 23-year-old Russian.
1) Rublev started playing tennis at 3-years-old
The World No 8 began playing tennis aged just 3. His idols growing up were Marat Safin and Rafael Nadal, whom he met in 2014 at Guillermo Vilas Academy in Mallorca.
2) Rublev comes from a sporting background
The Russian certainly comes from a sporting background. His father is a former professional boxer while his mother is a professional tennis coach. Outside tennis, Rublev has a passion for boxing inherited from his father and particularly enjoys watching Mike Tyson.
3) Rublev has a passion for music
When he was younger, Rublev had regular guitar lessons and was even part of a One Direction cover band, although his time in the band was short lived.
“We were just having fun,” Rublev reflected.
“Now, tennis is my life. Since I was a kid I always liked music; I was trying also to play guitar. But now I’m 100 percent in tennis.”
4) Rublev is currently World No 8
After a breakthrough year on the ATP tour winning five titles as well as back-to-back quarter-final appearances in Grand Slams, the 23-year-old has achieved a career high ranking of 8. The Russian has racked up titles in Doha, Adelaide, Hamburg, St. Petersburg and Vienna, winning all of the finals he has been involved in this year.
5) Rublev will make ATP Finals debut
On the 15th November, Rublev will make his ATP Finals debut in London alongside the world elite including Novak Djokovic, Rafael Nadal and Dominic Thiem as he bids to win his sixth title of the season.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner