‘We understand each other very well’ – Coach lifts lid on Dominic Thiem relationship
Nicolas Massu has lifted the lid on his relationship with Dominic Thiem, saying that a mutual understanding of each other is the key to their success.
Massu started coaching Thiem in 2019, and it has coincided with a serious upturn in success for the Austrian.
Thiem won Indian Wells shortly after joining forces with Massu, and has reached three Grand Slam finals under his tutelage, winning one.
“I think that we understand each other very well on both a personal and professional level,” Massu said of Thiem.
“We have great communication, a lot of respect and a willingness to improve every day.
“The way we work, we’re both trying to bring our 100% every day.”
Chilean Massu and Austrian Thiem may not appear all that naturally compatible upon first glance, but the coach believes the diversity in backgrounds is actually one of their major strengths.
“I think that strengthens us, because we have different personalities but share the same passion for being our best every day.
“We don’t have a big age difference either, and that helps us have a great energy on and off the tennis court.”
“On a personal level I think we’re getting to know each other more and building up trust every day.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner