‘Watching Novak Djokovic lose hurt my heart,’ admits Grand Slam legend Boris Becker
Boris Becker says it ‘hurt his heart’ to watch Novak Djokovic lose to Rafael Nadal in the French Open final earlier this month.
Djokovic was soundly beaten by Nadal in a straight sets defeat that even included a rare bagel for the Serbian.
And Becker, who used to coach Novak Djokovic earlier in his career, says he found it tough to watch.
“It hurt my heart,” Becker admitted, as quoted by Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung.
“[When we worked together] it was a very remarkable time for me and for him. We were brothers at heart.”
Becker also spoke of the German talent, led by US Open finalist Alexander Zverev, that is currently coming up through the rankings, and he believes they are worth getting excited about.
“We can be happy that we have Alexander Zverev and co., a generation is growing there,” he added.
“We also have to be patient a bit. We’re doing pretty well there, although more would be better.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner