‘I was close to quitting tennis, but my desire kept me going,’ admits US Open finalist Victoria Azarenka
US Open runner-up Victoria Azarenka said she came ‘pretty close’ to quitting tennis before her sensational return to the Grand Slam final stage.
Th Belarusian was one of the WTA’s leading lights earlier in her career, but she has endured a number of personal struggled since becoming a mother in 2016.
That involved a lengthy custody battle, but she has been a revelation this summer reaching two finals in New York.
“How close? I will say that I was ready to stop definitely,” she replied when asked how close she came to walking away from the sport. “I said that before.
“I haven’t touched my racket for five months. I was really not planning on coming to play until I had my personal issues resolved.
“So I never really made the final decision because I was going to do that after.
“So it was pretty close. But what kept me in the game is my desire to go after what I want. That’s pretty much it.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner