Venus Williams: ‘I really want to play at the US Open, and I want to play with Serena’
Venus Williams says she is desperate to play int the US Open in September, and she wants to do it alongside sister Serena Williams.
The prospects of the US Open are currently clouded in uncertainty given the coronavirus situation in America, where the numbers have become very alarming in recent weeks.
Venus, however, is immensely hopeful it will get the go-ahead, even if it is inevitable that it must happen behind closed doors.
“Right now a crowd would be dangerous,” she said in a Q and A with fans on her YouTube channel.
““I really want to play tennis and go back to work like most people. I want to do what I do well.
“I don’t want to sit at home and not have that goal of challenge.”
“If it is safe to play I really want to play at the US Open,” she added.
Venus Williams also doesn’t just want to play the us Open – she wants to play US Open doubles with sister Serena.
“I can’t wait to play doubles with Serena. We just have had a blast at the doubles court. We have got a lot of success,” Williams stated.
“I noticed that the thing I missed the most is playing doubles.
“I am looking forward to joining her on the doubles court and I just don’t care whom I play against.
“Who’s across the net, as long as there’s a net and there’s a match. Right?”
A delayed European clay swing awaits after the US Open, but at present it’s unclear what will happen with regard the basic logistics for players.
“I hope so (to play the clay season), but right now there is a travel ban. It could be lifted, who knows?”
“But hopefully there will be some exceptions made for athletes.
“When I saw that Rome was on the calendar I literally cried tears of joy.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner