US Open loses another former champion from draw as star withdraws due to ‘too many doubts’
Former champion Stan Wawrinka has become the latest big name to pull out of the US Open, saying there are just ‘too many questions and doubts’.
Wawrinka won the 2016 title at Flushing Meadows, but has opted to join current defending champion Rafael Nadal in withdrawing from this year’s event.
The Swiss star has cited multiple reasons for his decision, but the potential quarantine worries appears to be the number one factor.
“I don’t want to go to the United States under these conditions,” Wawrinka told RTS.
“There is a health situation that is particular in New York. And the sequence of tournaments which follows after the US Open will be tough.
“If the Washington tournament had been maintained, we would have been entitled to a real tour. It could have played on my choice.
“Finally, there are all the uncertainties related to the quarantine issue. There are still many questions and doubts about the holding of the US Open.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner