‘He was one of my idols growing up, so it was a great match,’ says Stefanos Tsitsipas after Hamburg win
Stefanos Tsitsipas said his win over Pablo Cuevas in Hamburg carried extra special significance for him.
Tsitsips, the reigning ATP Finals champion battled to a 7-5, 6-4 win on Thursday to extend his head to head advantage over the Uruguayan to 3-0.
However, he says wins against Cuevas are always special to him for one simple reason.
“I have a lot of respect for him,” Stefanos Tsitsipas said of Cuevas.
“He is a very difficult opponent to face, particularly on this surface.
“He is a good friend and one of my idols growing up. It was a great match and I enjoyed it.
Tsitsipas has struggled for form since tennis returned after the enforced coronavirus break, but has he found a way to regain his touch?
“There was a certain point during the match when I forgot that I had to win,” he explained.
“I was just enjoying the game, enjoying the crowd and playing with the most positive vibes, the most positive energy.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner