‘Top five is my big goal’ – Gael Monfils reveals ambitious plan to muscle in on top five this season
Gael Monfils has revealed ambitious goals for 2020, saying he wants to muscle his way into the top five in the world.
Monfils is currently the world number nine after a fine season last year.
He also has some past pedigree having elevated himself to a career-best ranking of six just four years ago.
However, he is arguably looking more driven than ever before, and he has put the rest of the top players in the world on notice.
“Being (inside the) top-5 is a goal, a big goal,” Monfils told reporters at the Montpellier Open.
“It’s a goal, a possibility and that’s why I wake up and train every day.
“Now if I finish the year in the top 10, I will be very happy too because it is very hard to achieve it.”
Aside from the ‘big three’ of Roger Federer, Novak Djokovic, and Rafael Nadal, the other players currently above Gael Monfils in the rankings are Alexander Zverev, Daniil Medvedev, Stefanos Tsitsipas, Dominic Thiem, and Matteo Berrettini.
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates with our legendary newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner