‘Those next to Dominic Thiem will be able to win Grand Slams’, says Davis Cup captain
Michael Kohlmann believes younger players will challenge the ‘Big Three’ more consistently in Slams following the success of Dominic Thiem.
Kohlmann, who captains the German Davis Cup team, was particularly impressed with the performances of both 24-year-old Daniil Medvedev and World No 3 Dominic Thiem in their respective semi-finals at the ATP Finals, beating Rafael Nadal and Novak Djokovic respectively.
“I found it remarkable this year that the young players went a step further in these important situations. The older, more experienced ones pulled off the calm, solid game”, said Michael Kohlmann in an interview with Tennisnet.
The Davis Cup captain had high praise for the high-risk strategy and attacking style adopted by Dominic Thiem, which saw him win the US Open earlier this year and reach the final of the ATP Finals in London.
“Dominic Thiem in particular took an even higher risk, played incredible forehand winners, and increased the pace. And that worked.
Not only does Kohlmann predict success for Thiem, but also the performances of younger players on tour this year led Kohlmann to predict a far tougher challenge for the ‘Big Three’ in the upcoming Grand Slams.
“I took the feeling with me that the boys, next to Thiem, are not only there now, but will soon also be able to win the Grand Slam tournaments. Even if all three top players are at the start”.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner