‘This is the hardest ATP500 draw of all-time’ – Novak Djokovic impressed with Vienna line-up
Novak Djokovic has described the draw in Vienna as the ‘toughest of all time for a 500-category event,’ but he can’t wait to get started.
Two wins will guarantee Djokovic the year-end world number spot. That would be his sixth and would draw him level with Pete Sampras at the top of the historical rankings.
It won’t be easy for him, though, with a star-studded line-up arriving in Austria to try and stop him.
“The field is extremely strong,” Federer told reporters.” The quality of matches from the first round will be very, very high.”
“You have six out of the Top 10 players playing here at an ATP 500 event.
“I think this must be if not the hardest or toughest men’s draw of all-time at a 500-category event, then definitely one of the hardest ones that we have ever seen, that I was ever part of.
“It’s great to be here. I have some amazing memories from this city. I haven’t been to Vienna and I haven’t participated in the tournament here for 13 years.
“The last time I was here I won the tournament and I had great support. This is definitely one of the best tournaments in this category.”
Djokovic may face defending champion and home favourite Dominic Thiem in the final, and he also stated his admiration for the US Open champion.
“I respect Dominic so much, he deserved the Grand Slam title more than anybody else with the way he works.
“But it’s a long way to the finals, we want it, but we have to take one match at the time.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner