‘They lack the commitment to beat Rafael Nadal and co.’ – Toni Nadal blasts ATP Next Generation
The best youngsters on the ATP Tour ‘lack the commitment’ to challenge Novak Djokovic, Roger Federer, and Rafael Nadal, says Toni Nadal.
The ‘big three’ have dominated the game for 15 years and have only ever been consistently challenged by Andy Murray.
That, though, according to Toni Nadal, is not down to talent, but desire.
“One would have to consider why they have stayed so long,” Toni Nadal told Marca.
“I think that these players, apart from a very high category, have lacked having a new generation with greater commitment and that is why they have not been ousted.
“It is true that there are some very good new youngsters – Zverev, Thiem, Tsitsipas – but I think they lacked a bit of commitment.”
Despite the criticism, Toni Nadal has identified one player he believes could replace his nephew Rafael Nadal.
“The one who is best positioned is to replace Nadal is Dominic Thiem [because] he adapts to the clay.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner