‘That match had everything – it was a tribute to tennis,’ says former Roland Garros finalist
Alex Corretja says the five-hour Roland Garros epic between Diego Schwartzman and Dominic Thiem was ‘a tribute to tennis.’
The duo duelled for five brilliant sets at Roland Garros before Schwartzman eventually wrestled a 7-6 (7-1), 5-7, 6-7 (6-8), 7-6 (7-5), 6-2 victory to earn a place in his first career Grand Slam semi-final.
It was tennis that was arguably the biggest winner though, with an instant classic being served up on Court Philippe Charrier.
“I think this is a tribute to tennis, it is one of the most emotional matches I can remember in a long time, especially here on the clay of Roland-Garros,” Eurosport expert Corretja said.
“The match had everything, of course it was difficult for both of them to serve it out.
“What I was most enthusiastic about though was that they kept fighting, they kept trying to find solutions despite the windy conditions and heavy balls. It had everything.”
The result will also see Schwartzman move into the top ten for the first time in his career and he may now face Rafael Nadal in the last four.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner