‘Tennis needs Daniil Medvedev – his madness is his charm’ says Guy Forget
Tennis need players like Daniil Medvedev, says Guy Forget, as he has a unique personal ‘different’ charm.
Medvedev won the Paris Masters on Sunday, beating Alexander Zverev 5-7, 6-4, 6-1 to claim his first title of the season.
It has been a slow return to form for Medvedev, who was once again dumped out of the French Open in the first round last month, but was was a worthy winner in Paris-Bercy.
Perhaps more to the point, though, he has had his character hailed by tournament director Guy Forget, who believes the Russian will be essential to tennis moving forward.
“We know [Medvedev’s] a whimsical boy, that’s what makes him charming,” Forget said.
“He has that little touch of madness that makes him likeable. We remember his spat with the New York public who helped him to transcend himself.
“It was reminiscent of a certain John McEnroe. Tennis needs players like that, a little different. We have a beautiful winner.”
It was Medvedev’s third Masters-level career title and he is now looking a favourite to impress at the ATP Finals this month.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner