Tennis authorities agree to unite in unique effort to support players with launch of tennis relief fund
The leading administrators of professional tennis around the world have agreed to create a tennis relief fund to support professional players that are starved of opportunity to play tennis and earn an income during the Coronavirus lockdown
In a ‘never before’ announcement, the ATP, WTA, ITF, Wimbledon, French Open, US Open and Australian Open have agreed to work together to launch the fund that they estimate will be worth around $6m.
The fund will be administered by the ATP and WTA and will mostly benefit those players ranked outside the top 200 in the world.
There are plenty of tennis players that simply don’t have the funds to support themselves during these times and those are the athletes that this fund is targeted at. Simply put, if tennis players aren’t playing tournaments then they aren’t earning money. Unlike team sports where players receive salaries, tennis players rely on tournament winnings for the majority of their income.
**Sorry to interrupt but we wanted to inform you that the latest 164 page, print issue of tennishead magazine is now FREE for everyone to order (It normally costs $25/£12). There is a small shipping cost but we’ll deliver anywhere in the world. Or you can order a copy for yourself and a free copy for a friend.**
The full ATP statement says: “With so much uncertainty around when it will be safe to restart the professional tennis tours, the International governing bodies of world tennis can confirm they are in discussions to create a Player Relief Programme to provide much-needed assistance to the players who are particularly affected during this time of the coronavirus (COVID-19) crisis.
These discussions have been progressing well and details are being finalised with an announcement expected in the near future. Already agreed is that the ATP and the WTA will administer the Player Relief Programme and all seven stakeholders will make a significant contribution.
The health and safety of everyone involved in tennis is the absolute priority for all the governing bodies, and the tennis community has been unwavering in playing its part in limiting the spread of the infection.
This is particularly true of our players, with so many engaging their fans through messages of hope while reiterating the importance of staying safe at home, as well as demonstrating creative ways to stay fit and practice our sport to be ready for when the time comes that play can begin again.
We know that for our players, as well as for so many people worldwide, there is the need for financial support for those who need it most and we look forward to finalizing and sharing the further details of a plan in due course.”
We are sure there is more to follow on this developing story
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner