Simona Halep: ‘Roland Garros shock hard to take but I’ll have a chocolate and feel better tomorrow’
Simona Halep was in philosophical mood after she was a surprise casualty at Roland Garros on Sunday.
The top seed was stunned 6-1, 6-2 by Polish teenager Iga Swiatek – a defeat that ensures Ashleigh Barty will finish the year as world number one.
However, after winning three titles in a shortened season, Simona Halep found some perspective.
“I realise that it was a fantastic year with all the tough moments that we all had, so I’m not going to ruin the whole year just for a match,” Halep said.
“Of course it’s not easy to take it, but I’m used to some tough moments in this career. So I will have a chocolate and I will be better tomorrow.”
For Swiatek, though, it was understandably a landmark day in her young career.
“This week was like a dream come true for me and I hope it is going to be longer,” she said.
On Roland Garros, Swiatek added: “It is my favourite. I always loved to play here, even when I was a junior.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner