Serena Williams says she is ‘holding her tongue’ after confirming Novak Djokovic discussions
Serena Williams refused to reveal whether or not she will be signing up to the new Players’ Association led my Novak Djokovic, although she did confirm talks between the two.
Djokovic divided tennis when he and Vasek Pospisil resigned from the ATP Players Council to form a breakaway organisation.
Both Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal have spoken out against Djokovic’s new union, but he is pushing ahead and trying to bring women players into it as well – starting with Williams.
“Well, yeah, we spoke a little bit right before, like a day before, day of the tournament,” Williams said, “and that was between me and him.
“And right now I’m really focused on the US Open and nothing else I can think about right now.”
When pressed by reporters for an answer, Serena Williams opted to give little away.
“Well, I’m very good at holding my tongue, and right now, like I said, I’m really focused on the tournament. My conversation was between me and Novak.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner