Serena Williams likens Maria Sakkari Cincinnati defeat to ‘dating a guy that you know sucks’
Serena Williams said she had ‘no excuses’ after losing to Maria Sakkari at the Cincinnati Open, claiming it was ‘like dating a guy that you know sucks.’
Williams won the first set against the Greek star before sinking to a 5-7, 7-6 (7-5), 6-1 loss at Flushing Meadows.
After the match, though, she used an odd analogy to describe her contribution to the match.
“It was tough. I literally should have won that match. There was no excuse,” Serena Williams said.
“It was hard, but I had so many opportunities to win, and I have to figure that one out, like how to start winning those matches again. There is really no excuses, to be honest.
“I literally put myself in this situation. You know, it’s like dating a guy that you know sucks. That’s literally what I keep doing out here.
“It’s like I have got to get rid of this guy. It just makes no sense. It’s frustrating.”
Williams, though, also admitted that a lack of match fitness was a big contributor to he defeat.
“I started cramping, but I shouldn’t have been in that situation.
“I don’t think that helps mentally when it’s like, you know the match is over and you have won the match, and now your legs were already tired and now they are even more tired, and now it’s even more tired.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner