Serena Williams faces brutal path to French Open glory
Serena Williams will have to navigate a nightmare draw in this year’s French Open if she is to equal Margaret Court’s all time record of 24 Grand Slam titles.
No 6 seed Serena Williams, who turns 39 today, fell short in her bid to equal Margaret Court’s record at the US Open earlier this month after losing in the semi-finals to Victoria Azarenka.
Williams, who now switches her attention to Roland Garros to complete the feat, faces an even tougher path to Grand Slam glory, as 2018 Roland Garros champion Simona Halep returns alongside World No 5 Elina Svitolina after they skipped the US Open.
In her opening match, Serena Williams will take on fellow American Kristie Ahn, who the World No 9 defeated in straight sets in her US Open first round match less than a month ago, before a possible match up with Andrea Petkovic in the second.
No 32 seed Barbora Strycova is likely to await in the third round, with a repeat of the US Open semi-final against Victoria Azarenka looking likely in the fourth.
If Williams is to avenge her earlier defeat to the Belarusian, she could face No 3 seed Elina Svitolina in the quarter finals before a semi-final matchup against World No 1 Simona Halep and a possible final against either World No 2 Karolina Pliskova or Australian Open champion Sofia Kenin in the final.
Williams’ (possible) route to her fourth French Open title:
Round 1: Kristie Ahn
Round 2: Andrea Petkovic
Round 3: Barboa Strycova
Round 4: Victoria Azarenka
QF: Elina Svitolina
SF: Simona Halep
Final: Karolina Pliskova
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner