Serena Williams expecting a ‘tough match’ against sister Venus, but thinks it can be ideal US Open prep
Serena Williams says her Top Seed Open clash with sister Venus Williams can be the ideal preparation for the US Open.
Serena lost the first set to Bernarda Pera in Kentucky but powered back to win 4-6, 6-4, 6-1, before after admitting she was suffering from some rust having not played for so long.
She is confident that Venus will give her a big test ahead of the US Open though, and she’s not expecting it to be like their training sessions.
“I have a really tough match in the next round [against Venus], but it is good in general because I haven’t played,” Serena Williams told reporters.
“A lot of players have been playing little things and little matches and playing against other players but I’ve only been training.”
Despite dropping the first set, she was ultimately happy with her performance against Pera too.
“This was really good for me, I was missing shots but I was like ‘oh, I should probably hit it that way’ so it was trying to get back into the swing of things.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner