ROLAND GARROS WOMEN’S DRAW: Serena Williams and Victoria Azarenka on quarterfinal collision course
Coco Gauff will play Johanna Konta in the pick of the first round matches at Roland Garros, with Serena Williams and Victoria Azarenka on a quarterfinal collision course.
Top seed Simona Halep will open her campaign against Spaniard Sara Sorribes Tormo, and could meet Kiki Bertens in the last eight.
There, Serena Williams or Azarenka could await, although Elina Svitolina may have something to say about that in what is unquestionably the toughest quarter of the draw.
Australian Open champion Sofia Kenin and Karolina Pliskova headline the bottom half of the draw, with Sloane Stephens looking especially menacing in the latter’s section.
Full French Open women’s singles draw 👇 pic.twitter.com/r7mQZB4IjA
— George Bellshaw (@BellshawGeorge) September 24, 2020
Kenin will be happy with her potential path to the quarterfinals, although Garbine Muguruza is a potential last eight opponent for the American.
Naomi Osaka and Bianca Andreescu are not competing at Roland Garros due to injury, and world number one Ashleigh Barty will not defend her title due to coronavirus concerns.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner