‘Roger Federer is positive and planning for next season’ – coach confirms retirement rethink
Roger Federer is actively planning for next season despite briefly flirting with the idea of retiring this year, says coach Ian Ljubicic.
Federer admitted that he seriously considered whether, due to a combination of his knee surgery and the coronavirus pandemic, now was the right time to retire.
He has since said that the draw of another Wimbledon next year convinced him to rethink those plans, and that has now been confirmed by his coach.
“Everything is under control. We are planning the next season,” coach Ljubicic told Novi List.
“It is a wish and a dream for everything to be like in 2017 (the last time Federer fought back from injury), but it is clear that every situation is new.
“Anyway, we have one positive experience, so we are all positive.”
Ljubicic’s own future would also be thrown into doubt when Federer does decide to retire, and at only 41-years-old he would be in a position to continue coaching with another player.
However, he says that there is no following Roger Federer, and he will focus on his Sports Management company instead when the Swiss star hangs up his racket.
“Roger will be my last coaching job. My commitment to this project (Lj Sports Group) after Roger is absolute,” Ljubicic explained.
“But Roger and I go further, my work with him is unquestionable and there are no problems there.”
“After his career, I can dedicate myself one hundred percent to what makes me happy. Then I will be able to help the players in a way that we judge to be the best.
“At the moment, as far as the coaching part of the job is concerned, it’s exclusively Roger.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner