‘Roger Federer is one of the greatest men in the history of sport,’ says Rafael Nadal
Rafael Nadal as described old rival Roger Federer as ‘one of the greatest men in the history of sport.’
Federer and Nadal built one of the most iconic rivalries in tennis in the early part of their careers, although that relationship has now mellowed to one of deep mutual respect and friendship.
And, as far as Nadal is concerned, Federer’s quality transcends tennis.
“Roger Federer is one of the greatest men in the history of sport,” Nadal told Corriere Della Sera
“He was my great rival; and this has benefited both of us, and tennis a little too.
“In some things we are alike: we care for tranquillity, for family. In others we are different.”
When Nadal was quizzed on exactly how they are different, he said they wre different characters almost down to the core.
“Well, he’s Swiss, I am Latin. We have different characters, cultures, ways of life,” he said.
The rumour mill has always claimed that their relationship changed when Federer visited Nadal’s academy in Mallorca, but he says that one isn’t true.
“Nothing has changed, because relations were already good; otherwise he would never have come.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner