‘Roger Federer is my favourite player – he is my reference,’ says top ATP youngster
Rising teenage star Lorenzo Musetti says Roger Federer is his ‘reference point’ for tennis perfection as he tried to build his career.
Musetti, 18, along with Jannik Sinner and Carlos Alcaraz are have been tipped to be the new golden generation for tennis.
Sinner has already broken into the top 50 but Musetti has started to make a big impression too after getting some Masters-level wins under his belt in Rome this year.
He, though, knows very well who he dreams of emulating.
“Roger Federer has always been my favourite player, he’s my reference, and continues to be,” Musetti told Esquire Italia.
When asked who he admired most, Musetti replied: “Roger [Federer]. “I grew up watching the rivalry between him and Nadal.
“And when they ask me what my dream final would be, I always answer against Roger at Wimbledon.”
Musetti is considered one of Italy’s brightest sporting prospects, and he has explained that his tennis background is already a long one.
“Thanks to my father who works in a marble company in Carrara. I started playing a bit with him at my grandmother’s basement when I was four years old.
“It quickly became more serious and when I was eight they took me to the club in La Spezia, where I took part in team matches.
“That’s where I met Simone Tartarini, who was first my teacher and then became my coach. It’s thanks to him that I became a player.
“Patrick Mouratoglou’s academy has also been important since they often welcomed me for practice weeks there.
“But I have to say it again: If I become a great player, it will be a hundred per cent thanks to Coach Tartarini.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner