Roger Federer: ‘I am not sure why I have had so much success, but it has exceeded my aims’
Roger Federer says he is ‘not quite sure’ why he has had the success he has, and he certainly never expected it.
Federer has been the most significant trailblazer in modern tennis history, raising the standards and setting just about every record you can think of on the ATP Tour.
Rafael Nadal and Novak Djokovic are slowly reigning in and surpassing those records now, but Federer says regardless of that he has massively exceeded his dreams.
“I’m actually not quite sure exactly why I succeeded as much as I did,” Federer said in a Q&A video for BecomingX.
“You don’t aim for 20 Grand Slams. You don’t aim for World number one, not in my world anyway, not in my normal upbringing in Switzerland.
“I’m not sure if we dream this big, you know. It’s not something that happens quickly or easily.
“If you’re passionate about what you’re doing, keep going, keep believing, reach for the stars.
“Surround yourself with the right people and if you really go for it”.
There is, however, one piece of advice that Federer would give to everyone, and he will accept no excuses from anyone if they don’t follow it.
“One thing I do believe in is not wasting your talent,” he said. “You can always control like your mind and your fitness I feel.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner