‘Roger Federer has not had a setback, but he has bad days’ – Swiss star’s coach gives injury update
Roger Federer is experiencing some ‘bad days’ after surgery, says coach Severin Luthi, but he insists the Swiss star hasn’t sufferered any injury setbacks.
Federer has not played since the start of the year and has had to undergo two operations to fix a knee injury this year.
He is not expected to be back until January, meaning he is looking at a year out of the game, and Luthi has provided an update on Federer’s fitness to fans.
“Rehab is going as usual; there were no setbacks,” Luthi told the press in Switzerland.
“Like everyone after surgery, Roger has his good and bad days.”
Luthi also hailed fitness coach Pierre Paganini for getting the 39-year-old back in action after such a lengthy spell on the sidelines.
“He is working with his physical trainer, Pierre Paganini,” he explained.
“The idea is to get back at 100% physically again, as we shouldn’t forget that the last time he competed was at the Australian Open in January.
“It is a big break, and it makes Pierre’s work very important at this stage.”
Roger Federer admitted earlier this year he considered retirement due to a combination of the injury and coronavirus, but has vowed to play on and go out on his own terms.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner