‘Roger Federer doing well and focused on next season’ – Swiss star’s coach gives positive injury update
Roger Federer is ‘doing well’ and fully focused on next season, according to his coach Severin Luthi.
The 20-time Grand Slam winner will turn 39 next month, and has been forced onto the sidelines with a knee injury this season.
He initially hoped to be back for Wimbledon and the Tokyo Olympics, but after the coronavirus outbreak saw both of those events cancelled, Federer decided to lengthen his rehabilitation with a second operation.
As ever with Federer, there has been talk about when he will be ready to retire, with many speculating this injury and the enforced break would bring his plans to hang up his racket forward.
However, his coach says that speculation couldn’t be further from the truth.
“Roger is doing well,” Luthi told Swiss media outlet SRF. “Rehabilitation has gone according to plan after the second surgery.
“No big intensity until now, he will start a physical fitness block with Pierre Paganini shortly. First priority is that Roger federer gets 100% healthy again.
“The nice thing is that with Roger you still get the feeling you‘re on court with a junior and not with a player who‘s rather at the end of his career, those are perfect conditions we’re focused on next season.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner