‘Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal don’t get booed…’ – Legend accuses fans of Novak Djokovic witch hunt
Novak Djokovic is the target of far too much unfair criticism, says former coach Boris Becker, who says Rafael Nadal and Roger Federer get a much easier ride.
Djokovic has long had a tumultuous relationship with some tennis fans, mainly those who back Nadal and Federer.
The London crowd can be especially cruel to the Serb, with him having double faults cheered at the ATP Finals last year.
However, Becker says it’s part of a wider sub-conscious campaign to punish Djokovic for ‘gatecrashing’ the Federer and Nadal rivalry, and it’s grossly unfair.
“He’s a people person, he does a lot of charity work in Serbia through his foundation,” Becker said of Novak Djokovic.
“And yet people only talk about him when he breaks the rules. Novak Djokovic is a champion, he always wants to win, but sometimes he makes mistakes too.
“In men’s tennis, fans are divided between Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal.
“Then here comes Djokovic who crashes the party – this is why he gets so much criticism. Nobody is perfect.
“Roger double faults, Rafa double faults… they don’t get booed.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner