Roger Federer accused of holding tennis back: ‘He has made us lose 20 years’
Gilles Simon claims the huge amount of popularity Roger Federer enjoys has held tennis back ‘for 20 years.’
While the debate over who is the greatest of all time rages on and probably will forever, Federer’s grace and movement on the court stands him apart from everyone in terms of popularity.
However, while Simon counts himself as one of Federer’s admirers, he believes the Swiss ace’s records need to tumble to enable tennis to move forward.
“I have nothing against Roger Federer personally, but against the image we have of him,” Simon told L’Equipe.
“For decades, it has been believed that only Federers should be trained.
“And he, with his style of play, his way of going forward, the confidence he exudes, came to validate these choices. He made us lose 20 years!”
“In France, everyone wants Roger Federer: parents, coaches… We don’t realise that Rafael Nadal has won so many Grand Slams by doing something quite different.
“That’s why it would help if Roger Federer’s records fell because we’d finally have to see the others.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner