‘Relentless’ Rafael Nadal backed to best both Roger Federer and Novak Djokovic in GOAT race
Rafael Nadal is better than both Roger Federer and Novak Djokovic because ‘he plays every point like nothing else matters,’ according to one top coach.
Paul Annacone, who has worked with both Federer and Pete Sampras in the past, was taking part in a debate on the Tennis Channel, where he is now an analyst.
And he was in a doubt about who he’d back when the stakes are at their highest.
“It is the relentless ability to play every point like nothing else matters except that point,” he said of Nadal.
Annacone believes there is one man who is comparable to Rafael Nadal in that category, bit it’s not Djokovic or Federer.
“Jimmy Connors was very close to that but I’ve never seen anyone do it better than Rafael Nadal.
“It is such a cliche but if you look at the way he plays and someone asked you ‘who would you want to play one match for your life?’ How do you not pick that guy?
“He is amazing. It has been fun to watch and the era that he’s in with the other all-time greats, I just continue to sit back and a lot of times my jaw just hits the table.”
The true metric most use to decide the GOAT (greatest of all time) is the amount of Grand Slam titles they have won.
Federer currently leads that, but both Nadal and Djokovic are in striking distance. Annacone, though, believes the Spaniard will ultimately be the man to beat there too.
“I hope he stays healthy. I think he’s got a lot more tennis ahead.
“He continues to love the game and as long as he does that and stays healthy, I don’t see him losing at Roland Garros.
“His records will continue to grow and we are going to have to invent new words in the dictionary to describe it.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner