‘Rejecting US Open was the right thing to do’ – Australian star has no regrets over Flushing Meadows snub
Ashleigh Barty says that withdrawing from the US Open was ‘the right thing to do’ as she couldn’t guarantee the safety of her team.
The world number one was the first big-name player to publicly announce she would not travel to the US, but a number of players have now followed her.
Defending champions Bianca Andreescu and Rafael Nadal have both withdrawn, as have WTP top ten players Kiki Bertens and Elina Svitolina.
Barty, though, says she was not trying to be a trendsetter, she was just trying to look after her people.
“That was a massive part of it for our team – accepting that this is something greater than what we can control, we can’t do anything about it,” Barty told ABC.
“We just have to play our part and do the right thing.
“[We] hope we get an opportunity some time in the year to get back to some kind of normal.”
In Barty’s absence, the top-seeding at the US Open would go to Simona Halep, although she is yet to make a decision yet herself regarding whether or not she will play.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner