‘Rafael Nadal will find it trickier than ever to win Roland Garros this year,’ says Martina Navratilova
Rafael Nadal will find it much harder to dominate the French Open this year, says Martina Navratilova, who says she has two main concerns for the Spaniard.
Nadal has won an unprecedented 12 titles at Roland Garros and will once again be the strong favourite when the rescheduled tournament begins at the end of September.
However, Navratilova believes Nadal may find it much tougher than usual this year.
“Well, it’s gonna be trickier for Rafael Nadal than usual,” Navratilova told the Tennis Channel.
“Two reasons – first, he likes a lot of reps, a lot of match play and he won’t have, in his estimation, enough before the French Open.”
With the French Open being moved to as late as conceivably possible due to the coronavirus pandemic, it will also be very different weather conditions for players than usual.
Those conditions, too, are something that leaves Navratilova fearful for Nadal, though she still rates his chances.
“It’s going to be cold and rainy wet heavy condition,” Navratilova added.
“Rafa likes it lively so that his topspin really pays off and he can move people around the court much better.
“The lower bounce – not so much. These two things will go against him but he’s still a heavy favourite”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner