Rafael Nadal: ‘Roger Federer is one of the greatest icons of tennis and his injury is bad for everyone’
Rafael Nadal says Roger Federer is ‘one of the icons of tennis’ and says that the sport suffers when he is injured.
Federer has been out of action since playing a charity exhibition with Nadal in February due to a knee injury.
He says he should be back for the Australian Open, though, and Nadal is delighted to hear it.
“I talked to him during the past months, I would say, really a lot,” Rafael Nadal told reporters at Roland Garros of Federer.
“We spoke a lot about ta lot of things which happened. Obviously we are in the player council together and apart from talking about ATP issues we also took the chance to talk personally about our lives during these times.
“So I knew he was getting better, and I am very happy he announced it (that he’ll return for the Australian Open) and I hope he’ll come back as soon as possible.
“We can’t fool ourselves: we have not got, I think, ten years remaining of Federer and the truth is all the time we have him away from the court [is bad].
“He is one of the greatest icons of our sport and to have him away from the court is bad for everyone.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner