‘Rafael Nadal played the perfect match – he’s phenomenal,’ admits Novak Djokovic
Novak Djokovic said Rafael Nadal played ‘the perfect match’ against him the French Open final on Sunday.
Top seed Djokovic went into the match as a slight favourite of many analysts, with him himself claiming he thought the conditions would suit him better than Nadal.
However, Nadal absolutely dominated the world number, and did it to such an extend that it even surprised him.
“I don’t have much to say but that I was completely outplayed by Rafa, by the better player on the court,” Djokovic told reporters after the match.
“He was not missing at all and getting every ball back, just playing tactically great. I felt well throughout the entire tournament. I thought I was in a great form.
“Certainly, I could have played better, especially in the first two sets. But he did surprise me with the way he was playing, the quality of tennis he was producing,” Djokovic added.
“He’s phenomenal. He played a perfect match, especially in the first two sets.
“[There’s] no holding him back it seems like. It’s amazing. I mean, I admire all his achievements, I mean, especially the one here.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner