‘I have to play my own game’ – Jannik Sinner outlines how he can beat Rafael Nadal at Roland Garros
Jannik Sinner is expecting Rafael Nadal to ‘make him a lot’ when they meet in the French Open quarterfinal, but he hopes to assert himself on the Spaniard.
Sinner has been one of the stories of the tournament, with the 19-year-old defying his years to make a dream run at his first Roland Garros.
He has beaten both David Goffin and Alexander Zverev along the way, but he knows he will face a whole new animal in Nadal.
“The most important thing is to go on court with the right attitude,” Sinner explained.
“I’ll try to play my own game because if he gets you to run it’s very difficult to win. It is important to have the right balance and not to start with the handbrake on.
“In a match like this I can learn things that will be useful in future.”
Sinner has trained with Sinner before – directly before the French Open started. However, he says that is unlikely to help him a great deal.
“Training and matches are two very different things,” he said.
“He (Nadal) makes you play a lot of balls. He reads the match very well and understands what his opponent is doing.
“I don’t like when my opponent makes me run, and he’s certainly going to do it.”
Rafael Nadal is chasing a 13th Roland Garros title and record-equalling 20th Grand Slam career crown in Paris.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner