‘Rafael Nadal made the smart decision – and was proven right,’ says top coach
Rafael Nadal made a ‘smart choice’ in not defending his US Open title last year, says Mikhail Youzhny.
Nadal won the title in 2019, beating an inspired Daniil Medvedev in a brilliant final, but he opted to sit out the 2020 edition.
The US tournaments were the first since the ATP Tour resumed following the enforced coronavirus suspension, leaving Nadal concerned about his fitness after such a long time without playing.
However, Youzhny, who coaches rising Canadian star Denis Shapovalov, believes Nadal has ultimately been proven right to skip the tournament.
“Rafael Nadal felt that if he played the American tour, he would risk injuries and jeopardize the rest of the season; that’s the only reason why he skipped the New York trip,” Youzhny explained on a recent podcast.
“That’s the key to his success; that smart choice ultimately represents what distinguishes Nadal from the rest of the field.
“Nadal hadn’t played a tennis match for six months and had only one goal in his head; to win another Roland Garros title.
“I fully understood his decision, and he proved it was the right one.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner