‘Rafael Nadal has a massive Roland Garros advantage due to US Open decision,’ says Novak Djokovic
Rafael Nadal has a massive ‘advantage’ at Roland Garros because of his decision to skip the US Open and practice on clay instead, says Novak Djokovic.
Nadal was the defending champion for the US Open, but he opted not to defend his crown this year due to safety and scheduling concerns.
Instead, he stayed at home and put all of his time and effort into preparing for the clay season, which is his strongest surface.
That, according to Djokovic, makes Rafael Nadal a even stronger favourite than usual to win the French Open.
“Rafa decided to stay [at home and practice] and that surely gives him more advantage,” Djokovic told reporters at the Italian Open.
“But even if he didn’t practice for that long on clay he’d still be the number one favourite in Roland Garros or any other clay tournament because he’s Rafa.
“Playing on clay he’s the ultimate challenge.”
Nadal has won 12 French Open titles in his career and is widely considered to be the finest clay court player of all time.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner