‘Rafael Nadal had a great chance of winning the ATP Finals,’ bemoans Carlos Moya
Carlos Moya believes Rafael Nadal had a great chance of winning the ATP Finals this year but he struggled in the big moments.
Nadal lost to both Dominic Thiem (in the round robins stage) and Daniil Medvedev in the semi-finals despite playing some superb tennis in London.
For coach Moya, though, he lost out because he was unable to win the pivotal points like he usually does.
“The ATP Finals was a pity, as I think Rafa had chances of reaching the final and battling for the title,” Moya said.
“Those tense moments usually work in his favour, but that wasn’t the case against Daniil Medvedev and Dominic Thiem.
“Things are developing quickly on such a fast court like in London, and two or three key moments will decide the winner among the top-ranked rivals.
“You have to stay focused and grab those crucial points, as they are likely to determine who takes the victory home.
“Usually, Rafa solves this type of situation in his favour, but we have to praise Thiem and Medvedev, whom both played on a high level when it mattered the most.
“They won the crucial points against Rafa and came as deserved winners.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner