‘Rafa Nadal wins Grand Slams,’ says Andrey Rublev as he explains ATP Finals defeat
Andrey Rublev says a lack of experience against the top players in the world cost him in his ATP Finals defeat to Rafa Nadal.
Rublev was easily dismissed in straight sets by Nadal at the O2, with the Russian generally looking a little overwhelmed by the occasion in his first ATP Finals match.
He came into the tournament in brilliant form having won a tour-leading five titles this year, although none were any higher than ATP500 level.
The top players don’t often play in those competitions, meaning Rublev is still relatively inexperienced against them.
“I don’t really play with top players, so all the other players, they play much more with [the] top players, and me… it’s [only] my second time against Rafa Nadal,” Rublev said.
“I only played three times against [the] top three players [Nadal, Djokovic and Federer].
“I don’t really have much experience, so [the] more I will play against them, [the] better I think I will perform every time.
“Here I came fresh. I rested a couple of days. Then I practised just [a] few days,” Rublev said.
““It’s more about experience. Rafa is one of the top players, so he wins a Grand Slam, he wins one [ATP] Masters , and he basically doesn’t need to play [as] many tournaments [as me].
“In my case it’s different. I need to fight for my spot, so I needed to play those weeks.”
Rublev did admit to contributing to his own downfall, though, and he says nerves played a big part in that.
“I was serving not good at all, because I was a little bit nervous, which is normal,” Rublev said.
“When he broke me in the second set, I relaxed and I started to serve much better. Then [it] was [a] different game, but it was too late.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner