Rafa Nadal most memorable matches chosen by Toni Nadal & Carlos Moya: 2011 French Open final
Former and current coaches to Rafa Nadal, Toni Nadal and Carlos Moya, have revealed the matches they will always remember as his most epic performances.
Rafa Nadal vs Roger Federer, 2011 Roland-Garros final
Was this the first time you could remember Rafa not being the favourite given the form of Novak Djokovic?
Toni Nadal: “Yes, what I wanted when I came to Roland Garros, was that Djokovic loses. It’s the only thing I wanted. When we played in Rome, I have seen in this moment Djokovic was playing better than Rafael. And when we arrived in Roland Garros, we knew that Djokovic was the best. Then for us, it was good that Federer won his semi final against Djokovic, it was a wonderful match and more, because Federer won. And then, I remember I think it was the first defeat of Djokovic that year.”
**Sorry to interrupt but did you know you can order a FREE COPY of tennishead magazine (worth $15) to be sent direct to your home? Hurry up and click here to order the world’s best tennis magazine for free as stocks will run out soon!**
Did you see a big difference between Rafa’s form in the first round and the final?
“Many times, when we arrived at Roland Garros in Paris, he started with little confidence Rafael. Sometimes I said “Rafael, what happens? Do you believe that you can lose against this player? You are so good, it is not too difficult in the first round or the second round, no?” But then, after the first week, normally, he starts to play better and better and normally when he arrives in the final, he arrives with confidence, and then the center court for him is so good. It is a big court. He can move, and he has the feeling that it is very difficult to make points against him. Then, everything changes.”
Toni Nadal and Carlos Moya were speaking to Eurosport as part of its Players’ Cut series which this week features Rafa Nadal. Players’ Cut airs from 6pm each evening this week on Eurosport 1.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner