‘Rafa Nadal delivered an unsurmountable, unbeatable performance – and Djokovic knew it,’ says Toni Nadal
Rafa Nadal gave an ‘unsurmountable, unbeatable performance’ in the French Open final – and Novak Djokovic knew it early.
That is the view of Nadal’s uncle and former coach Toni Nadal, who also admitted his nephew’s performance moved him to tears.
Rafael Nadal dished out a rare bagel to Djokovic in the opening set at Roland Garros before wrapping up a 6-0, 6-2, 7-5 win, and Toni says the writing was on the wall from from the opening points.
“From the beginning, at 40 to 15 for Rafa I noticed that he was making an insurmountable performance,” Toni Nadal told El Pais.
“I think Novak also understood this and immediately entered the field badly.
“When he realized that my nephew was unbeatable from the bottom he tried to break the rhythm with short balls, but they were only the result of nervousness and certainly not of preparation.
“It was a difficult match due to the adverse conditions we all saw throughout the tournament.”
The win gave Rafa Nadal his 20th Grand Slam title – something only Roger Federer can claim to have matched.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner