Novak Djokovic: ‘You’re going to default me? My career, my Grand Slam? She didn’t need hospital’
Novak Djokovic pleaded with US Open officials to save his tournament after accidentally hitting a line judge in the throat.
Djokovic was defaulted for the incident, which was completely in line with tournament rules, but when told the decision on court he did not take the news well.
“She doesn’t have to go to the hospital for this,” Djokovic told the tournament referee at the net, trying to plead to be allowed to continue.
“You’re going to choose a default in this situation? My career, grand slam, centre stage.
“If she would have gotten up right away… You have a game penalty, set penalty, many options.”
Djokovic refused to speak to the press after the incident and was pictured leaving the venue in a car shortly after leaving court.
The world number one was a break down against Pablo Carreno Busta in the fourth round at the time of the incident.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner