Novak Djokovic: ‘The odds of this happening were very slim, but it is what it is…’
Novak Djokovic says he predicted in jest drawing countryman and friend Filip Krajinovic in the first round of Vienna.
Djokovic needs just two wins in Vienna to secure the year-end world number one, but will have to go through his countryman and occasional doubles partner in round one to do that.
He, though, says he is treating the draw with enormous respect as he knows exactly what Krajinovic is capable of.
“I practised with Filip for a few days in Belgrade before coming here and we joked around that we might draw each other and that’s what happened,” Djokovic said.
“The odds of this happening are very slim, [having] the only two Serbian guys in the draw next to [Dusan] Lajovic play first round.
“But it is what it is. We are great friends, I’ve known Filip for a long time. He’s a very talented guy, hard court is his preferred surface.
“He can play very quick tennis. We have similar games actually because we kind of grew up together.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner