Novak Djokovic says this season has been one of his best, despite Grand Slam ‘regrets’
Novak Djokovic says he believes he has had as good a season as he has ever had despite his ‘regret’ at failing to win the US Open or Roland Garros.
Djokovic was defaulted at the US Open in round four for accidentally striking a line-judge with a spare ball, while he lost the French Open final to Rafael Nadal.
Those two matches have been the only ones all year that he has failed to win, though, and for that reason he is understandably proud of it.
“There is a little regret because I have not won a trophy in New York or Paris since I have been in extraordinary form for both,” he told the press in Serbia.
“At the French Open I have had a much better opponent in the finals and I was not at my level.
“In New York there was this unfortunate incident, but I have won both Cincinnati and Rome.
“If we don’t count the default, I have lost only one match this year, so I am free to say that I am maybe playing the tennis of my life.
“The season is what it is, with the break and everything, but I have won a lot of matches, so I can compare this year with 2011 and 2015.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner