Novak Djokovic says ‘playing my best tennis when I needed it the most’ secured record title in Rome
Novak Djokovic declared himself ‘super proud’ after he won a record 36th Masters title in Rome on Monday.
Djokovic went into the final against Diego Schwartzman level with Rafael Nadal for ATP1000 tournament wins, and he was worked hard by the Argentine.
However, despite being broken in his first two service games, Djokovic sailed to a 7-5, 6-3 win.
“It was a great week,” Djokovic said after the final. “A very challenging week.
“I don’t think I played my best tennis throughout the entire week, but I think I found my best tennis when I needed it the most in the decisive moments.
“That definitely makes me very satisfied and proud that I managed to find that fifth gear when it was most needed.
“Turning to Paris [for the rescheduled French Open], I could not ask for a better tournament here in Rome. Another big title and I am super pleased with it.”
Novak Djokovic will be the top seed at Roland Garros and will find out his first opponent when the draw is made on Thursday.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner