‘Novak Djokovic, Roger Federer, Rafael Nadal too big for the women’s game to compete,’ says WTA ace
Novak Djokovic, Roger Federer, and Rafael Nadal dominate tennis to such an extreme that the WTA cannot hope to compete at the moment, says Olga Danilovic.
The 19-year-old is one of the rising stars of the WTA Tour, but acknowledges that there is not the same interest for it that the ATP enjoys.
The is despite women’s tennis being generally much more competitive and unpredictable than the men’s game, with it proving impossible to consistently predict.
However, the main reason for the comparative lack of popularity is not a lack of quality, but a lack of superstars.
“We don’t have a big three,” Danilovic said referring to Roger Federer, Novk Djokovic, and Rafael Nadal.
“Women’s tennis is great tennis. We have Serena, Naomi Osaka who is currently a star.
“But when Simona Halep plays with Ashleigh Barty at six in the afternoon, and then at eight Nole (Djokovic) plays against Federer, where will you go?
“Unfortunately, it is what it is.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner