Novak Djokovic and Rafael Nadal skip Citi Open, but Kei Nishikori and Daniil Medvedev lead strong field
Novak Djokovic and Rafael Nadal have both opted to skip the Citi Open, leaving Daniil Medvedev and Stefanos Tsitsipas to lead the field.
The Citi Open is usually held in Washington D.C. but has been moved to New York this as organisers believe it is easier to maintain social distancing at Flushing Meadows.
However, neither Novak Djokovic or Rafael Nadal will be there to get an early taste of the action.
Both players are practising on hard courts at the moment, though, meaning they are almost certain, barring any fresh public health emergencies, to play in the US Open, and possibly Cincinnati Masters as well.
View this post on Instagram
It remains a strong field for the Citi Open, however, with nine of the world’s top 20 in the draw.
As well as Medvedev and Tsitsipas, David Goffin, Roberto Bautista Agut, Diego Schwartzman, Karen Khachanov, Denis Shapovalov, Cristian Garin, and Felix Auger-Aliassime have opted to play.
Big-serving American John Isner is also in the draw, as are Milos Raonic, Kei Nishikori, Alex de Minaur, Taylor Fritz, Borna Coric and Benoit Paire.
Andy Murray will not make his ATP return in the tournament, although British duo Dan Evans and Kyle Edmund are hoping to play.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner