Novak Djokovic willing to battle Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal but admits: ‘I want them on board’
Novak Djokovic says he wants the support of Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal for his new Players’ Association, but accepts he will have to go against his influential rivals.
Djokovic divided tennis last week when he resigned from the ATP Player’s Council and revealed plans to make a breakaway organisation.
There has been some support from other players, but also significant resistance too – most notably from Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal who presented a united front against the world number one on social media.
Djokovic, though, is no stranger to batting those two star names, and he doesn’t appear daunted by doing it again.
“Of course I would love to have Roger and Rafa on board,” Novak Djokovic said. “Of course I would love to have all the players on board.
“But I understand they have different opinions and they don’t think the time is right.”
“We are not calling for boycotts, we are not forming parallel tours,” he said.
“We are focused on the top 500 players in singles and the top 200 in doubles. We hope we can get the majority of those players.
“I think this is an important step for players and for the sport.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner