‘Novak Djokovic is fresh and motivated for ATP Finals,’ says top analyst
Novak Djokovic is fresh and motivated ahead of his campaign to equal another record at the ATP Finals next week, says Greg Rusedski.
Djokovic can draw level with Roger Federer with six wins in the season-ending tournament if he can overcome a typically stellar field in London.
He has not won the event since 2015, but Amazon Prime analyst Rusedski thinks this year may be different for the Serbia.
“I think Novak Djokovic is going to want to re-establish [himself] and tie the record of six with Federer,” Rusedski told the Press Association.
“I think he is fresh now. His main goal was to get to number one – he did that. He had that little dip in Vienna and didn’t play in Paris.
“To get six year-end number ones is a phenomenal accomplishment, only Pete Sampras has done that. Pete’s accomplishment is still ahead of Novak’s because Pete did it six years in a row.
“But I think he is going to be motivated because he hasn’t won it in a long time and whether you like it or not these guys want records.
“Federer, Djokovic and (Rafael) Nadal want to go down with the most slams, the most ATP Finals wins, the most Masters wins, that is what drives these three incredible legends of the game.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner